About This Blog

Don't get me wrong. It's not that I'm not on board with the whole ebook thing. I enjoy books in all their formats. But there is nothing quite like a bookstore with its neatly arranged shelves of books and artfully created displays of new arrivals, best sellers, and suggested reading. I especially enjoy discovering small, independent bookstores and have made it my mission to visit and report back on as many of these gems as I can. That is my focus, but there is really nothing that is off limits as long as it is about books or reading. Hope you enjoy my blog and come back often.

Monday, August 1, 2011

A New Horizon

Horizon Books
115 S. Mitchell Street
Cadillac, MI 49601
www.horizonbooks.com

The wailing call of a loon on a still summer evening, a baby laughing, the subtle flutter of book pages being turned--all ear candy to me. The latter treat I enjoyed as I entered Horizon Books in Cadillac, Michigan. One patron, sitting in the comfortable cafe area next to the fireplace, was engrossed in a book while others with laptops were taking advantage of the free WiFi.




The bright, cheery space drew me in immediately.
My favorite thing about Horizon Books is the large, colorful children's area. Its raised platform seating carpeted in vibrant colors invites children to flip through one of the many picture books on display.  In addition patrons will find a children's nonfiction section as well as books designated as intermediate reading. Special displays abound. On the day of my visit, for example, there was an interesting summer display entitled "Boredom Busters" as well as a "Welcome to Michigan" display. There is a large selection of games and puzzles, and stuffed animals are everywhere. They sit nestled amongst the books, on shelves of their own, as part of special displays, and they adorn the tops of shelves along with gift items.

Horizon Books also houses a fine selection of YA (young adult) books. The usual titles I expect to see are there--Twilight, Pendragon, Hunger Games, Maximum Ride. But I also discovered a James Patterson series called Daniel X that was completely new to me. You just never know what you're going to come across in an independent bookstore. They can be full of surprises. That's one of the things that makes them so delightful, the thought of printed treasure waiting to be discovered.

The store's great signage led me through the usual adult areas--nonfiction, poetry, romance--through a
reading/study area with tables to a generous selection of periodicals at the back of the store. After my initial investigation of the space, I purchased a coffee and scone from the cafe and enjoyed it at a small table by the fireplace while I checked my email. Nearby a small group of people also took advantage of the free wifi to engage in a Skype visit with a distant relative.


For my purchase on this bookstore trip, I decided on two books. My son is a big fan of Christopher Moore, so I purchased Fluke, a book by that author which I know my son has not read. I also purchased a book for myself. Last winter while I was still working as a high school librarian, I started The Help, but found I had little time to read it what with all the other things I was reading. I ended up cataloging it in the high school library telling myself I would get another copy and read it during the summer. Well, summer is here, so I purchased a paperback copy of The Help by Kathryn Stockett. It is next on my list of things to read, and when I read it, I will remember my visit to Horizon Books in Cadillac.

4 comments:

Savage said...

This bookstore looks awesome and I'm sure the children's section is a huge draw.

The Help is one of the best books I've read to date. I read it and my daughters both devoured the book. One declared after finishing, "I didn't want it to end." The movie comes out in 8 days. . .never as good as the book, so we will have to wait and see.

Thanks for sharing.

M Redd said...

Update: Just finished THE HELP and absolutely loved it. Can't wait to see the movie now.

Savage said...

My daughters and I saw the movie on the opening day. It was incredible with the ability to make Skeeter, Minny and Abby come alive and bring those same lumps in your throat and tears to your eyes as parts of the book did. The toilets on the lawn and the chocolate pie were laugh out loud funny just like in the book.

Hope you had a chance to see the movie. Thanks for the blog updates -- it looks as if you are enjoying your retirement.

M Redd said...

I just saw the movie today. I have to agree. I thought they did a great job of distilling the key elements of the book. Oscar potential? Perhaps.