About This Blog

Don't get me wrong. It's not that I'm not on board with the whole ebook thing. I enjoy books in all their formats. But there is nothing quite like a bookstore with its neatly arranged shelves of books and artfully created displays of new arrivals, best sellers, and suggested reading. I especially enjoy discovering small, independent bookstores and have made it my mission to visit and report back on as many of these gems as I can. That is my focus, but there is really nothing that is off limits as long as it is about books or reading. Hope you enjoy my blog and come back often.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Book Nook Update

The Book Nook & Java Shop
8726 Ferry Street
Montague, MI 49437
231-894-5333
http://thebooknookjavashop.com/

One warm day last November, I had the pleasure of visiting the Book Nook & Java Shop in Montague, Michigan. (See "Friends Don't Let Friends Drink STARBUCKS") On a similar day four months later, I had occasion to visit this delightful shop once again. After remarking on my first visit that perhaps I would return for a meeting of the Book Nook's book club, I did indeed return--three times. Yes, I am hooked on Bryan Uecker's book selections and the friendly, welcoming club members. But there was something especially tantalizing about this third visit: we would have the opportunity to meet the author of the current selection, Spirits and Wine.


I found Susan Newhof to be every bit as charming as her book. Part mystery, part ghost story, the tale is set in a fictitious Lake Michigan coastal town not unlike Montague, home of the Book Nook and home to the author as well. Susan says the plot came together for her in about 15 minutes, inspired by her real-life experience with a spirit in her own house. Spirits and Wine is an engaging read about the travails of a newly-married, middle-aged couple who discover a spirit inhabiting their old house. I am not generally a mystery reader, but I very much enjoyed this book and its captivating author. To see a video of Susan and Bryan discussing Spirits and Wine on WZZM's Take Five Book Club, click Take Five.

Exciting changes are in store for the Book Nook; the entire store will be packing up and moving later this spring. After the book club meeting, Bryan treated us to a tour of the new digs, a couple doors down from the current location. Currently being renovated, the new, much more spacious location will accommodate a larger stage, a kitchen, and a conference room in addition to a wine bar, cafe, outdoor patio, and deck. Bryan enthusiastically described plans to feature a small lunch menu with tapas in the evening, and a wine dinner once a month. But his eyes lit up when he mentioned his recent acquisition, a pump organ. You may recall that one of the things I first noticed on my initial visit to the Book Nook was the piano. And now a pump organ and a large stage. Wow. (Of course, there will still be books!) I anticipate these changes will establish the Book Nook as the heart of Montague, Michigan. I can't wait to visit again after the grand opening slated for Memorial Day weekend.

No comments: