About This Blog

Don't get me wrong. It's not that I'm not on board with the whole ebook thing. I enjoy books in all their formats. But there is nothing quite like a bookstore with its neatly arranged shelves of books and artfully created displays of new arrivals, best sellers, and suggested reading. I especially enjoy discovering small, independent bookstores and have made it my mission to visit and report back on as many of these gems as I can. That is my focus, but there is really nothing that is off limits as long as it is about books or reading. Hope you enjoy my blog and come back often.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

In And Around Our Nation's Capital


Inside the Capitol Dome

If you have been reading my blog for a while, you know how lucky I was to be able to visit Hong Kong with my husband when he had a business trip to China last February. It was a fabulous trip. (See Hong Kong)
This month he was scheduled to attend a conference in Washington D.C. so I decided to tag along on that trip as well. Gotta love the frequent flier mileage program. We arrived a weekend ahead of the conference with plans to visit the Smithsonian on Saturday and nearby Mt. Vernon on Sunday. Our plans rapidly changed, however. As it turns out, we were sharing that weekend in our nation's capital with over 200,000 Girl Scouts who were in town for the 100th anniversary of their organization. Crowded on the Mall? You bet. Crowded on the Metro? Absolutely. And we learned that Mt. Vernon also had a special day for the Girl Scouts planned for Sunday. Luckily there is much to see and do in D.C., so we quickly revamped our plans and had a very enjoyable visit.


Library of Congress
During the week while my husband was attending the conference, I of course found time to visit a couple of bookstores and the fabulous Library of Congress. Watch for upcoming blog posts about the trip.

No comments: