About This Blog

Don't get me wrong. It's not that I'm not on board with the whole ebook thing. I enjoy books in all their formats. But there is nothing quite like a bookstore with its neatly arranged shelves of books and artfully created displays of new arrivals, best sellers, and suggested reading. I especially enjoy discovering small, independent bookstores and have made it my mission to visit and report back on as many of these gems as I can. That is my focus, but there is really nothing that is off limits as long as it is about books or reading. Hope you enjoy my blog and come back often.

Monday, December 10, 2012

Long Live Books!

I must admit that when I first began this blog, I had my doubts as to how long I would be able to continue in this endeavor given the rise in popularity of ebooks. As I've said before, I have nothing against ebooks. It's actually very handy to carry a book around with me on my phone, ready for those times when I have to wait for my appointment in the dentist's office, for example. But print books have so many advantages that I can't, or don't want to, envision my life without them.

For one thing, there is just something about the feel and smell of a paper book. And if I drop a paper book down a flight of stairs, I still have something to read. My eyes don't tire as quickly reading a paper book. There are so many wonderful bookmarks that can only be used in paper books. And that antique bookshelf that my husband just refinished--well, I can't fill that with my favorite ebooks.

I don't know about you, but when I take a break from reading a paper book and mark my place with a favorite bookmark, I always turn the volume sideways to get a visual cue as to my progress. A quick glance will tell me when I have reached the halfway point or when I'm nearing the end. I derive a certain satisfaction from viewing my progress as I make my way through the pages. An ebook does not provide the same satisfaction. So I am happy to know that for the time being at least, paper books are still around, still popular, and still filling the shelves of truly special places called bookstores.

I recently came across an interesting short video that shows the complex printing and binding process. Seeing a book actually come to life further cements my respect for a physical volume that I can actually hold in my hand and thumb through. I thought it appropriate to share it on this blog.

I hope you enjoy Birth of a Book!!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this post. Every time I put a book mark in the book I always glance to see how much further I have left. Feeling the weight shift primarily from the right to the left as I read and know that the right hand is slowly emptying and I'm nearing the end is a great feeling although I pity those who interrupt me when I'm down to the last 20 pages. -Matt

M Redd said...

I agree, Matt. Don't interrupt me during that last 20 pages. Although I must admit that sometimes that great feeling of nearing the end turns to regret, as the book has become such a good friend, I hate to have it come to an end.