About This Blog

Don't get me wrong. It's not that I'm not on board with the whole ebook thing. I enjoy books in all their formats. But there is nothing quite like a bookstore with its neatly arranged shelves of books and artfully created displays of new arrivals, best sellers, and suggested reading. I especially enjoy discovering small, independent bookstores and have made it my mission to visit and report back on as many of these gems as I can. That is my focus, but there is really nothing that is off limits as long as it is about books or reading. Hope you enjoy my blog and come back often.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Great news . . .

"So I walked back to my room and collapsed on the bottom bunk, thinking that if people were rain, I was drizzle and she was a hurricane."
--John Green, Looking for Alaska



I have been accepted to be a book giver on World Book Night. If you don't remember what that is, see my earlier blog post. So on April 23, Shakespeare's birthday, I will have the distinct privilege of giving away, totally for free, 20 copies of a wonderful book. And it's not just any book. It's Looking for Alaska by John Green, one of my favorite authors. See My Favorites.

My connection to this title goes beyond my love of the book and its author. I first discovered John Green, coincidentally, in the store that would become the subject of my very first blog post. See The Book Mark. It was in this particular store that I first picked up a copy of Looking for Alaska. When I discovered that the story takes place at a boarding school called Culver Creek, I knew I had to give it a try seeing as how my son's name is Culver. (No relation to the boarding school.)

I have shared this book with many other avid readers, and now I will have the opportunity to share it with 20 people who are not bibliomaniacs like me in the hopes that they will be inspired by the enjoyment of this book to do more reading. That's what World Book Night is all about. I can't wait!

No comments: