About This Blog

Don't get me wrong. It's not that I'm not on board with the whole ebook thing. I enjoy books in all their formats. But there is nothing quite like a bookstore with its neatly arranged shelves of books and artfully created displays of new arrivals, best sellers, and suggested reading. I especially enjoy discovering small, independent bookstores and have made it my mission to visit and report back on as many of these gems as I can. That is my focus, but there is really nothing that is off limits as long as it is about books or reading. Hope you enjoy my blog and come back often.

Monday, April 15, 2013

57th Michigan Antiquarian Book & Paper Show


Books, posters, sheet music, post cards, calendars, sports programs and tickets, vintage advertising, maps, magazines, door prizes, live music, and multiple vendors all gathered together in one location--that's the Michigan Antiquarian Book & Paper Show. Twice a year, book and paper enthusiasts come from near and far on a hunt for hidden treasure at this show, one of the biggest in the country and West Michigan's largest. On April 7, I had the pleasure of visiting the show for the first time. I was pleased to run into a few people from past blog posts as well as make some new acquaintances.



Gabe Konrad, Bay Leaf Used & Rare Books
One of the first familiar faces I encountered was that of Ray Walsh, owner of Curious Books and Archives Book Shop, and an integral part of the MAB&P show. Both of Ray's stores had exhibits at the show, staffed by now recognizable faces. I also enjoyed seeing Gabe Konrad owner of Bay Leaf Used & Rare Books, the subject of one of my earliest blog posts. See his store website at:

Roger Jones, Branchwater Books & Ephemera
It's always nice to make the acquaintance of fellow bibliomaniacs, and Roger Jones is one such person. Roger's business, Branchwater Books, was once a brick-and-mortor store but is now run from his home as are many of the businesses with displays at this show. Roger specializes in science and mechanical books and Michigan/Great Lakes books as well as historic posters and hunting and fishing advertising. He is kicking around some interesting ideas for a new book selling venture including a book-and-breakfast concept that would allow customers making a qualifying book purchase to stay at a booklover's inn/retreat. Interestingly, Roger's original store was located in Ludington, home of my very first blog post about The Book Mark. Through our conversation, I also learned that Roger owns property not far from our family cottage in Baldwin. We are practically neighbors. Roger had several attractive framed prints of fishing tackle advertising, and when I noticed that one in particular was for a company named Shakespeare, I decided it would be perfect for the cottage. Fishing and Shakespeare, what could be more perfect to decorate the walls of a librarian's cottage?

Lindsay Mundt, Ada Books
As I made my way around the show, I took special interest in a booth by Ada Books since my husband spent part of his youth living in this small Michigan town and we now live less than 10 miles down the road in Lowell. I spent a few moments chatting with Lindsay Mundt who was manning the booth at the time. Owner, David Aiken, runs Ada Books 24/7 as an online business, but is open otherwise only by appointment. See his website at adabooks.com.

I very much enjoyed the variety of offerings I viewed while browsing at this well-organized show. From miniature books, to custom hand bindery, to a psychedelic era poster by Peter Max for National Library Week, there were so many interesting things to see. I have already marked my calendar for October 13, the date of the 58th Michigan Antiquarian Book & Paper Show.

Like the Show on Facebook at:

And you can visit Ray Walsh's Curious Book Shop site at:

1 comment: