About This Blog

Don't get me wrong. It's not that I'm not on board with the whole ebook thing. I enjoy books in all their formats. But there is nothing quite like a bookstore with its neatly arranged shelves of books and artfully created displays of new arrivals, best sellers, and suggested reading. I especially enjoy discovering small, independent bookstores and have made it my mission to visit and report back on as many of these gems as I can. That is my focus, but there is really nothing that is off limits as long as it is about books or reading. Hope you enjoy my blog and come back often.

Monday, June 10, 2013

So many books . . .

Recently my dear friend Bethany gave me a lovely bookmark that features a list of must-read books. Well, that got me thinking, and I decided to make my own personal list of "read-before-I-die" books. I now have a long-term bookstore shopping list, and I will post updates of my progress.

This is an evolving list, so I am looking for suggestions. If you have some titles that you think should be  on my list, please leave a comment with your ideas.

My list so far:

War and Peace, Leo Tolstoy
Crime and Punishment, Dostoyevsky
A Farewell To Arms, Hemingway
The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter, Carson McCullers
Animal Farm, George Orwell (I know, I know. I should have read this one long ago.)
Atlas Shrugged, Ayn Rand
The Sound and the Fury, William Faulkner
A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens
Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen
Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte
The Picture of Dorian Gray, Oscar Wilde
Diary of Anne Frank
The Giver, Lois Lowry
Grapes of Wrath, Steinbeck



4 comments:

Katy Manck, MLS said...

For a pretty painless (and free) way to read many of the classics on your list, try DailyLit. They'll send you the whole book - a bit at a time - by RSS or email on whatever schedule you set up! You can pause, get the next section now, etc.

https://www.dailylit.com/

I've read all of Austen, George Eliot, and several others through DailyLit, most recently finishing Verne's Around the World in 80 Days - in French! (I'm rusty, but did fairly well). Just began Madame Bovary (in English) today.

Buzzing by from Blogathon,
**Katy

M Redd said...

Great idea. Thanks.

M Redd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
M Redd said...

I have begun reading Pride and Prejudice via DailyLit and love it. Thanks for the suggestion.