About This Blog

Don't get me wrong. It's not that I'm not on board with the whole ebook thing. I enjoy books in all their formats. But there is nothing quite like a bookstore with its neatly arranged shelves of books and artfully created displays of new arrivals, best sellers, and suggested reading. I especially enjoy discovering small, independent bookstores and have made it my mission to visit and report back on as many of these gems as I can. That is my focus, but there is really nothing that is off limits as long as it is about books or reading. Hope you enjoy my blog and come back often.

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Good News for Traditional Book Lovers

I've said this before. I have nothing against technology. I'm a big fan, actually. I would be lost without my computer and iPhone. I spend time reading on those devices every day. I even read ebooks from time to time. They're great for long waits at the auto repair shop. That said, I will always prefer print media. The tactile experience of flipping real pages cannot be replicated electronically. I'm also a reader who is prone to flipping back to earlier pages to double check something or reread a pertinent passage. This may bring gasps from some readers, but yes, I do sometimes crimp important page corners and write in my books. And when I close a book and put it aside until later, I always take a peak at it from the top to see how far along I am. Book marks are not just for marking my place, but also for marking my progress. These are habits not so easily managed with an ebook. So I'm greedy. I want to give up neither technology nor printed books. But when the power is out or the battery is dead, I can still read if I have a paper book.

As you can probably guess, I have always been more of a words person than a numbers and science person. I usually refer to my condition as a math allergy. Numbers give me a rash, at least symbolically. And science? Well, that often includes math, so . . .


Now it seems that science might be on my side. Thanks to Alysandra, my science/math-oriented future daughter-in-law for sending me this thought-provoking article. It seems that science may actually indicate serious advantages to reading paper books. Click the link below, and see what you think.



No comments: