About This Blog

Don't get me wrong. It's not that I'm not on board with the whole ebook thing. I enjoy books in all their formats. But there is nothing quite like a bookstore with its neatly arranged shelves of books and artfully created displays of new arrivals, best sellers, and suggested reading. I especially enjoy discovering small, independent bookstores and have made it my mission to visit and report back on as many of these gems as I can. That is my focus, but there is really nothing that is off limits as long as it is about books or reading. Hope you enjoy my blog and come back often.

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Books! Books! Books!

Donation box at Fox Subaru in Grand Rapids, MI
Question: What do a retired librarian, a car dealership, and Dr. Seuss have in common? Answer: Books, of course. Big books, small books, green books, tall books. Books to read. Books to share. Books could turn up anywhere. In case you weren't already aware, MARCH IS READING MONTH!! And how better to kick off the month than by celebrating the March 2nd birthday of one of the most beloved children's authors, Dr. Seuss.

So how does the car dealership fit in you may be wondering? As it happens, this year when I visited my local Subaru dealership, Fox Motors, for a service appointment, I was also able to contribute to the Read n' Give program. As a business partner in the program this year, my local dealership is one of many businesses giving their time and resources to promote reading. Part of the promotion includes book collection boxes, and I was happy to donate a couple books while my car was being serviced.

The mission of Read n' Give, according to the program web site is to "collect, share, read, donate, and pass on books in a continuous cycle of giving." To that end, the program promotes not just literacy, but philanthropy as well by collecting books and promoting the idea of passing them on. The web site even offers teacher resources and ideas for teaching philanthropy to students at all K-12 levels.

Photo: PR Newswire
What a great idea!! Check the web site to see if there is a Read n' Give promotion in your area.

On a related and timely note, not long ago a previously unpublished Dr. Seuss manuscript was discovered, and a brand new Seuss book, What Pet Should I Get, is due to be published this July. Great news for Seuss lovers of all ages. Read about it here: New Seuss book.


Happy Reading Month!

No comments: