About This Blog

Don't get me wrong. It's not that I'm not on board with the whole ebook thing. I enjoy books in all their formats. But there is nothing quite like a bookstore with its neatly arranged shelves of books and artfully created displays of new arrivals, best sellers, and suggested reading. I especially enjoy discovering small, independent bookstores and have made it my mission to visit and report back on as many of these gems as I can. That is my focus, but there is really nothing that is off limits as long as it is about books or reading. Hope you enjoy my blog and come back often.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

In the Market for Books

Any true bibliomaniac will tell you that bookstores aren't the only purveyors of books. Library sales, drug stores, department stores, big box stores, garage sales, and even Goodwill can offer the book lover a possible new read or at the very least, the opportunity to thumb a few pages and inhale the intoxicating aroma of the printed page. Highly unlikely, however, is finding books for sale in my favorite place for acquiring something tasty to throw on the grill. Nevertheless, such is the case at O'Brien's Market & Deli in Ada, Michigan.

Here we momentarily interrupt this blog post for a shameless, yet unsolicited plug. At O'Brien's you will find the best beef kabobs ever, provided you get there before they have sold out. You'll also find everything you need to complete the meal from tasty deli salads to the perfect wine. And my husband says O'Brien's meatloaf is "to die for."

Okay, now back to our regularly scheduled blog post. I've been a fan of O'Brien's for a while, but when I noticed that they had started selling books, my face lit up with a smile as big as Christmas. Granted, it's only one rack. But still. It's not the size of the endeavor, but the location that is special here. And what bargains! Hard cover books are $4, paperbacks go for $2, and titles by the author of the month, currently Jonathan Kellerman, are only a buck.

During my most recent stop at O'Brien's, I enjoyed meeting Matt Moore, fellow book/bookstore enthusiast and manager of book sales at the Market. We swapped a few stories about some of our favorite library and book shop experiences. (There's a place in Florida that I have to add to my bucket list.) Matt shared that he has started a store of his own about an hour north in Newaygo, a town that I frequent during the warm weather months as it is on my route from home to our cottage in Baldwin. This charming town is also home to Bay Leaf Books, another bookstore that I love to visit and have blogged about in the past. One small town, two bookstores--two reasons to look forward to my next trip through Newaygo.

Books are always in my thoughts, but now that winter is over and grilling season is here, kabobs are on my mind as well.

Food, wine, and books--a winning combination at O'Brien's Market & Deli.

No comments: