About This Blog

Don't get me wrong. It's not that I'm not on board with the whole ebook thing. I enjoy books in all their formats. But there is nothing quite like a bookstore with its neatly arranged shelves of books and artfully created displays of new arrivals, best sellers, and suggested reading. I especially enjoy discovering small, independent bookstores and have made it my mission to visit and report back on as many of these gems as I can. That is my focus, but there is really nothing that is off limits as long as it is about books or reading. Hope you enjoy my blog and come back often.

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Oh, the Horror!

The Next Chapter
Bookstore & Bistro
141 E. Main Street
Northville, MI 48167
248-465-0010

I scream. You scream. We all scream for ice cream! And the bibliomaniacs among us occasionally scream for books. Contemplating life without books? Oh, the horror! But horror literally in a bookstore? Now there's something to wonder about.

As usual, I'm getting ahead of myself. Allow me to back up and explain the horror of The Next Chapter Bookstore.


My daughter-in-law, Alysandra, told me about this bookstore in Northville, not far from where she and my son live in Howell and even closer to Eastern Michigan University where she is a grad student. Happily, she had a free afternoon and asked if I would like to take a drive with her to check out the store. If there's a bookstore involved, you don't have to ask me twice. So on a cool, yet lovely, summer day perfect for a road trip, we headed out for the small town of Northville and The Next Chapter Bookstore.

Just half an hour's drive from downtown Detroit, Northville captures the best of both worlds, small-town charm with the convenience of the big city. Next Chapter is one of many specialty shops inhabiting a main street lined with old-fashioned street lamps and broad sidewalks. Filling the outdoor space directly in front of the shop is an abundance of patio tables where customers might enjoy a cup of coffee or lunch purchased from The Next Chapter Bistro.

Stephen shares a laugh with new staff member, Gabby.
Upon entering the shop, we found manager, Stephen Dueweke, occupied with a variety of tasks behind the main desk. No shrinking violet, he immediately engaged us in easy, and often hilarious, conversation about himself, books, bookstores, and writing. 

Although new just this year as store manager, Stephen has a long history with books, having worked with them in various capacities for the last 30 years. A published author himself, Stephen's book, Playing Soldiers in the Dark, has been praised on Amazon and Goodreads. Read more about it here.

Stephen and crew are in the process of redoing the books and updating inventory for the store, Open for just about five years, the store inhabits a building that was formerly a clothing and shoe store.

Next Chapter features an eclectic mix of furnishings. The old wood floors, the retro light fixtures, the tables and chairs, all reminiscent of library trappings, create a comfortable atmosphere, while a window nook outfitted with wild spotted print seating and a unique tea-pot lamp lend a contrasting hip, artsy vibe.


There is no sharp division between the Bistro on one side and the Bookstore on the other. Tables from the eatery spill over into the book area, along with a generous selection of specialty teas, some of which I purchased for my tea-loving husband.

Sitting at one of the many tables surrounded by books, Alysandra and I lunched on delicious French-style crepes. A specialty of the Bistro, these delectable creations are offered in a variety of sweet and savory versions.

By now you must be wondering how screams and horror can possibly be involved in this pleasant establishment. The horror, I must confess, is purely cinematic. The Next Chapter was the setting for a scene in the movie, Scream 4, and a fitting location it was. Rumor has it that the owner of the original clothing business actually died in the store.

Thankfully, I did not detect any ghosts or ghastly creatures during our visit. Not a horror movie fan, I will likely never see Scream 4. But I am a bookstore fan, and The Next Chapter Bookstore & Bistro was a hit with me.



A local reporter posted this Youtube video about The Next Chapter's movie debut:


1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Nice ... as always!