About This Blog

Don't get me wrong. It's not that I'm not on board with the whole ebook thing. I enjoy books in all their formats. But there is nothing quite like a bookstore with its neatly arranged shelves of books and artfully created displays of new arrivals, best sellers, and suggested reading. I especially enjoy discovering small, independent bookstores and have made it my mission to visit and report back on as many of these gems as I can. That is my focus, but there is really nothing that is off limits as long as it is about books or reading. Hope you enjoy my blog and come back often.

Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Update: After the Storm

New owner, Sue Boucher
The Cottage Book Shop
5989 Lake Street
Glen Arbor, MI 49636
231-334-4223

Outside of an infancy spent in Texas when my dad was in the Air Force, I have lived my entire life in the beautiful state of Michigan. I love my state. It may be flyover country to many, but I can't imagine living anywhere else. I have been blessed to be able to visit many of Michigan's lovely scenic areas, and early in my blogging life I did a series of posts on "The Most Beautiful Place In America." Conferred by popular vote on the Good Morning America show, this designation refers to the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore in northern Michigan. Not only beautiful, this area is also home to several great bookstores. I have visited the Cottage Book Shop in Glen Arbor several times.

photo from Glen Arbor Artisans/Paul May
Sadly, this past August the area was hit with a huge storm. Powerful winds took out hundreds of old-growth trees, swamped boats, damaged homes, and blocked roads effectively cutting off access to Glen Arbor as well as local trails and camp grounds. At the height of a busy tourist season, this was, of course, a significant blow to the economy of the region.

The last days of summer offered perfect sunny weather for a drive along Michigan's famed Highway 22, so I decided to head up to Glen Arbor to find out how the Cottage Book Shop was getting along after the storm. As I neared the small town, massive piles of trees and brush still littered the sides of the roadway, but once in town, everything seemed fine. The place was bustling with tourists.

photo from Grand Rapids Press
As I entered the bookstore, I was heartened to find it busy with customers. Since my last visit, the store has changed hands, and I was delighted to make the acquaintance of new owner, Sue Boucher, who bought the store in April, 2014. Her origins are in Chicago, but she now lives in the nearby town of Empire and was able to fill me in on some of the particulars of the storm.

Fortunately, Sue told me, the bookstore sustained no damage from the storm other than lost business. It was a few days before the roads were cleared, the town was without power for five days, and at the time of my visit nearly two months later, some of the trails were still not open. Amazingly, the storm's power literally blew the water away from one end of nearby Little Glen Lake, leaving several boats temporarily resting on the lake bottom. This article provides pictures and a video.

I'm happy to know that things are getting back to normal now in "The Most Beautiful Place In America" and glad that I took the time to revisit the Cottage Book Shop.



This just in:
Michigan's Hwy 22 has just been voted America's Best Scenic Autumn Drive.

Read the article here.

1 comment:

M Redd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.