About This Blog

Don't get me wrong. It's not that I'm not on board with the whole ebook thing. I enjoy books in all their formats. But there is nothing quite like a bookstore with its neatly arranged shelves of books and artfully created displays of new arrivals, best sellers, and suggested reading. I especially enjoy discovering small, independent bookstores and have made it my mission to visit and report back on as many of these gems as I can. That is my focus, but there is really nothing that is off limits as long as it is about books or reading. Hope you enjoy my blog and come back often.

Thursday, June 16, 2016

Author! Author!

Two visits with R. J. Fox
I try never to miss an opportunity to sing the praises of my beautiful state of Michigan. The beauty! The Bridge! The beaches! The bookstores! The books! Michigan boasts a great connection to writers, even including the likes of Hemingway. I recently had the opportunity to revisit four great Michigan bookstores and to meet three great Michigan authors.

Bonnie Jo Campbell reads from her new story collection.
On a very cold, snowy day last winter, I traveled to Albion to meet R. J. Fox and hear him talk about his book Love & Vodka. (See Crazy In the Name of Love, my post about that event.) Then at the tale end of winter on a much nicer day, I was able to see Fox again, this time along with my son and daughter-in-law at Bluefrog Books in Howell.

In May I had the good fortune to travel to Traverse City's Brilliant Books for an author event with National Book Award finalist, Bonnie Jo Campbell, author of Once Upon A River. On this visit she was signing copies of her new story collection, Mothers, Tell Your Daughters.


Adam Schuitema talks with my book club.
Then in June, it was on to Montague and a meeting with my book club at The Book Nook and Java Shop where we were fortunate to have Grand Rapids author, Adam Schuitema, in attendance to discuss his book, Haymaker, our June selection. This well-crafted book takes place in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

Each of these writers was engaging, and I enjoyed all of their books.
Author events is just one more thing that makes bookstores special. After all, you can't meet an author in an e-book.

No comments: