About This Blog

Don't get me wrong. It's not that I'm not on board with the whole ebook thing. I enjoy books in all their formats. But there is nothing quite like a bookstore with its neatly arranged shelves of books and artfully created displays of new arrivals, best sellers, and suggested reading. I especially enjoy discovering small, independent bookstores and have made it my mission to visit and report back on as many of these gems as I can. That is my focus, but there is really nothing that is off limits as long as it is about books or reading. Hope you enjoy my blog and come back often.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Back Where It All Began

The Book Mark
201 S. Rath Avenue
Ludington, MI 49431
231-843-2537

Hard to believe that it's already been five years since I started this blog, and what a delightful five years it has been. It all began on the beautiful Lake Michigan shoreline in the town of Ludington. The Book Mark was the first stop on my blogging journey, and as I contemplated this anniversary, I felt it only fitting that I revisit the store that kicked it all off.


Staff members, Alyssa and Spencer
In my first post I mentioned that the store had recently changed owners. Five years later, the store itself has changed somewhat. But the coffee bar I enjoyed on my first visit is still in place and two lovely baristas, Spencer and Alyssa, were happy to fill me in on the changes. 

For starters, while the original large Book Mark sign still sits atop the building, the adjacent mural is gone making way for the addition of several windows. Spencer explained that the upstairs portion of the building is now home to apartments. I think I would quite enjoy living in an apartment above a bookstore.

The tables in the coffee area where I enjoyed a hot beverage five years ago are no longer there. The dust and bare drywall that I encountered on my earlier visit has been transformed into a cozy new lounge area with a fireplace, new tables, and plenty of comfortable chairs, making it the perfect spot to relax with a cup of coffee while leafing through a book.

In my initial post about the Book Mark, I noted with sadness that the young adult/children's section had been displaced, its space being renovated into what would become the current lounge. However, on this return visit I was pleased to find that the sizable children's and young adult area is not only back, but has grown to be the largest section of the bookstore. There is an abundance of puzzles, games, and toys in addition to the wide selection of books for the younger set. Not surprisingly, teachers are frequent visitors to the Book Mark. 

The brightly lit, friendly atmosphere remains the same, and the shop still has a large selection of Michigan books. As in my original visit, I appreciated the helpful service, and I very much enjoyed meeting the cheery college-student staff members, Spencer and Allyssa. I left with a happy heart knowing that the store that kicked off my blogging adventure was in good hands and doing well.


No comments: