About This Blog

Don't get me wrong. It's not that I'm not on board with the whole ebook thing. I enjoy books in all their formats. But there is nothing quite like a bookstore with its neatly arranged shelves of books and artfully created displays of new arrivals, best sellers, and suggested reading. I especially enjoy discovering small, independent bookstores and have made it my mission to visit and report back on as many of these gems as I can. That is my focus, but there is really nothing that is off limits as long as it is about books or reading. Hope you enjoy my blog and come back often.

Thursday, January 12, 2017

Books to Movies, 2017


cover art obtained from GoodReads
I realize that some book lovers have no interest in seeing titles they have enjoyed give birth to film counterparts. Some are chagrined at the very idea. I, however, am not one of those people. I enjoy seeing characters and events that have moved me translated to the big screen. With that in mind here is advanced notice of just a few of this year's crop of celebrated books due to be released as movies.

Most notable to me is Wonder by R. J. Palacio, due in theaters in April and starring Julia Roberts and Owen Wilson. This book for young readers tells the story of a boy with a facial deformity trying to live a normal life. I found Auggie's story to be touching, uplifting, and moving. If you haven't read this one yet, I highly recommend it. It's a short read, and there's still plenty of time before the movie comes out, but I suspect there may be waiting lists for library copies.

Another book I recommend is the Jeannette Walls memoir, The Glass Castle, which details her upbringing in a dysfunctional family. Due in August, it stars Brie Larson, Naomi Watts, and Woody Harrelson.

Part action, part adventure, part love story, The Mountain Between Us by Charles Martin just began production in December and stars Kate Winslet and Idris Elba.

Idris Elba also stars in the July release of Stephen King's The Dark Tower. Other actors include Katheryn Winnick and Matthew McConaughey.

Additional titles to watch for:

-Captain Underpants by Dave Pilkey, June, animated with the voices of Kevin Hart, Nick Kroll, and Ed Helms.
-The Dinner by Herman Koch, May, stars Richard Gere and Laura Linney.
-The Shack by William P. Young, March, stars Sam Worthington and Octavia Spencer.
-A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron, January 27, stars Britt Robertson, Josh Gad, and Dennis Quaid.

and, yes, another installment in the Fifty Shades saga will come out this year.

Happy reading and viewing.


No comments: